Northwest Medical Center is comprised of a 300-bed hospital, four urgent care facilities, a freestanding emergency center and a large physician group, offering you a variety of settings in which to work. Every location is dedicated to providing safe, quality patient care, but more than that is the commitment to employees. It strives to provide a culture of teamwork, respect and appreciation for all staff, whether they care for patients directly or work in a support role. With employee appreciation celebrations throughout the year, opportunities for growth and the satisfaction that you are part of a hospital leading the way with accessible, convenient healthcare in Tucson, Northwest is a great place to work. NMC is accredited by The Joint Commission and is an equal opportunity employer: race, gender, disability and Veteran status, and VEVRAA Federal Contractor - priority referral Protected Veterans requested.
This Coder Out Patient position is a full-time - days- working in the Business Office at Northwest Medical Center.
Summary: Primary responsibility is the coding of diagnoses and procedures on any clinical (CLI) and re-occurring (RCR) outpatient records, Same Day Surgery (SDC), Emergency Room and Urgent Care records.
1. Accurately and completely codes any clinical (CLI) and re-occurring (RCR) outpatient records, Same Day Surgery (SDC), Emergency Room and Urgent Care records to conform to current coding conventions. Determines the sequence of diagnoses according to uniform hospital discharge data. Reviews charges on CLI/RCR accounts to ensure charges are appropriate in regards to procedures.
2. Demonstrates an understanding of other payment methodologies that use clinical data such as Ambulatory Surgery Center (ASC) payment groups and Ambulatory Patient Groups (APGs).
3. Meets or exceeds the CHS Coding Productivity Standards for each type of OP coding service. (ER/UC - 18/hr; CLI/RCR - 18/hr; SDC - 7/hr).
4. Demonstrates an ability to be flexible and completes all other duties as needed or requested by the Coding Supervisor and/or Department Director.
5. Answers phone and assists with requests for coding advice as needed by hospital staff and physician offices.
6. Requests diagnoses from physicians when not recorded on discharge or if information is incomplete.6. Requests diagnoses from physicians when not recorded on discharge or if information is incomplete.
7. Updates coding procedures and guidelines and ensures that updates are provided to all backup coders; stays updated on Federal coding changes.
8. Enhances professional growth and development through participation in educational programs, current literature, in-service meetings, and workshops. Attends meetings as required, and participates on committees as directed.
9. Maintains acceptable standards in the area of; attendance, professionalism, and establishing harmonious working relationships.
10. Reviews charges for all Outpatient accounts in accordance with CHS policy.
11. Performs other job duties relevant to the position as assigned.Qualifications
Education: High School diploma/GED preferred or equivalent experience required.
Experience: Two years coding experience in an acute care hospital environment preferred. Proficient ICD-9-CM and CPT coding.
Skills: Computer knowledge in 3M, Meditech, Microsoft Excel preferred
Preferred: CCS Certification from the American Health Information Management Association or, AAPC Certification from the American Academy of Procedural Coders, preferred."