Northwest Medical Center is a 300-bed hospital offering a full range of healthcare services including emergency services, accredited chest pain and heart failure programs, neurology and neurosurgery, outpatient imaging, a nationally accredited surgical weight loss program, total joint program, spine program and stroke center (recognized with Gold Seal designations by The Joint Commission), robotic surgery, GI lab, a free-standing women’s center, inpatient rehabilitation facility, wound care center, five urgent care facilities, and three ambulatory surgery centers. NMC also has several affiliated physician practices including Northwest Allied Physicians offering primary care and a wide range of specialists, Desert Cardiology of Tucson, Heart Center of Southern Arizona and Northwest Heart & Vascular. NMC is accredited by The Joint Commission and is an equal opportunity employer: race, gender, disability and Veteran status, and VEVRAA Federal Contractor - priority referral Protected Veterans requested.
Summary - Performs moderate and high complexity tests in the clinical laboratory. Ensures that specimens are appropriate for test methodologies. Documents all quality control activities, instrument and procedural calibrations, and maintenance performed. Assist customers with information regarding laboratory testing in a pleasant and professional manner.
1. Consistently monitors specimens to ensure that each specimen is appropriate for the test methodology utilized.
2. Ensures that all tests are performed within turn around time limits with review of pending logs and stat boards to maintain compliance.
3. Performs and documents quality control, calibration, and instrument maintenance per departmental procedure; documenting all corrective action taken when systems deviate from laboratory established performance criteria.
4. Consistently uses critical thinking and problem solving skills to identify and correct issues that may adversely affect test performance or patient results.
5. Performs proficiency testing within time guidelines as directed by departmental supervisors, and in the same manner as patient testing.
6. Responds appropriately to changes in workload, assisting in other clinical areas as necessary. Assist in training students and staff as required.
7. Effectively and appropriately communicates with supervisory staff regarding departmental needs or issues; including but not limited to; timely responses to e-mail correspondence, instrumentation issues, inventory, or reagents.
8. Monitors patient testing in the reference testing area; aliquot specimens, assists in management of pending logs by following up on overdue results, and enters reference test results as needed for timely patient care.
9. Consistently provides support to departmental supervisors and co-workers as required in all aspects of the laboratory.
10. Demonstrates competency in all necessary hospital and LIS modules/functions. Qualifications
Education: High School diploma/GED preferred or equivalent experience required. Prefer Bachelor's Degree or qualified through alternative certification agency with experience and examination. Must meet CLIA Federal Register requirement.
Experience: Completion of a recognized medical technology program or two years experience in a clinical laboratory.
Skills: Ability to read, communicate, and document effectively through oral, written, or electronic means. Excellent skills in customer relations. Demonstrates the constant ability to prioritize and respond promptly to a changing workload. Ability to respond to multiple situations and questions that require sound judgments and action for quality patient care.
Licenses/Certifications:"Required: BLS required for Free Standing Emergency Department (FSED).
Preferred: certification, MT (ASCP) or equivalent. Requires Bachelor or Associate of Science degree in Medical Laboratory Science
Requires graduation from an accredited MLT, MT or MLS program.