Northwest Medical Center is a 300-bed hospital offering a full range of healthcare services including emergency services, accredited chest pain and heart failure programs, neurology and neurosurgery, outpatient imaging, a nationally accredited surgical weight loss program, total joint program, spine program and stroke center (recognized with Gold Seal designations by The Joint Commission), robotic surgery, GI lab, a free-standing women’s center, inpatient rehabilitation facility, wound care center, five urgent care facilities, and three ambulatory surgery centers. NMC also has several affiliated physician practices including Northwest Allied Physicians offering primary care and a wide range of specialists, Desert Cardiology of Tucson, Heart Center of Southern Arizona and Northwest Heart & Vascular. NMC is accredited by The Joint Commission and is an equal opportunity employer: race, gender, disability and Veteran status, and VEVRAA Federal Contractor - priority referral Protected Veterans requested.
This Laboratory Assistant II position is full-time - days - working at Northwest Medical Center
Summary: Collects and labels all specimens requiring testing in the clinical laboratory. Performs order entry of tests as necessary. Ensures that specimens are routed to appropriate areas for testing. Performs waived complexity testing as required under the direction of a staff technologist. Processes all specimens for reference laboratory testing.
1. Draws blood from the patient according to laboratory policy and procedure, demonstrating good phlebotomy skills. Labels all specimens at the patient bedside.
2. Assists customers with information regarding laboratory testing.
3. Demonstrates proficiency in ordering and/or receiving specimens, and rejecting inappropriately collected/labeled specimens.
4. Consistently monitors stat/timed boards to ensure appropriate specimen collection and turn around times. Consistent demonstration of daily pending list management, including reconciliation of specimens and hand off to incoming staff.
5. Performs shipping documentation/batching for reference laboratory testing. Results reference laboratory testing into the IT system. Monitors and reconciles reference testing to ensure timely patient results.
6. Accurately performs and results patient testing per CLIA regulations and as directed by technical staff.
7. Performs procedures for culturing and preparation for microbiology testing.
8. Assists in the training of laboratory staff/students as required.
9. Performs clerical/supply functions.
10. Demonstrates proficiency for hospital wide and/or department specific computer software and technology. Qualifications
Education: High School diploma/GED preferred or equivalent experience required.
Experience: Three years previous phlebotomy experience in a health care setting or certification as a phlebotomist through an accredited agency. For internal candidates: 1 year experience as a Laboratory Assistant I
Skills: Ability to read, communicate, and document effectively through oral, written, or electronic means. . Phlebotomy, medical terminology, computer experience, and excellent service skills. Demonstrates the constant ability to prioritize and respond promptly to a changing workload.
Licenses/Certifications: None required.