Northwest Medical Center is comprised of a 300-bed hospital, four urgent care facilities, a freestanding emergency center and a large physician group, offering you a variety of settings in which to work. Every location is dedicated to providing safe, quality patient care, but more than that is the commitment to employees. It strives to provide a culture of teamwork, respect and appreciation for all staff, whether they care for patients directly or work in a support role. With employee appreciation celebrations throughout the year, opportunities for growth and the satisfaction that you are part of a hospital leading the way with accessible, convenient healthcare in Tucson, Northwest is a great place to work. NMC is accredited by The Joint Commission and is an equal opportunity employer: race, gender, disability and Veteran status, and VEVRAA Federal Contractor - priority referral Protected Veterans requested.
This Laboratory Assistant II position is full-time, days w rotation if needed working in the Laboratory at Northwest Medical Center
Summary: Collects and labels all specimens requiring testing in the clinical laboratory. Performs order entry of tests as necessary. Ensures that specimens are routed to appropriate areas for testing. Performs waived complexity testing as required under the direction of a staff technologist. Processes all specimens for reference laboratory testing.
1. Draws blood from the patient according to laboratory policy and procedure, demonstrating good phlebotomy skills. Labels all specimens at the patient bedside.
2. Assists customers with information regarding laboratory testing.
3. Demonstrates proficiency in ordering and/or receiving specimens, and rejecting inappropriately collected/labeled specimens.
4. Consistently monitors stat/timed boards to ensure appropriate specimen collection and turn around times. Consistent demonstration of daily pending list management, including reconciliation of specimens and hand off to incoming staff.
5. Performs shipping documentation/batching for reference laboratory testing. Results reference laboratory testing into the IT system. Monitors and reconciles reference testing to ensure timely patient results.
6. Accurately performs and results patient testing per CLIA regulations and as directed by technical staff.
7. Performs procedures for culturing and preparation for microbiology testing.
8. Assists in the training of laboratory staff/students as required.
9. Performs clerical/supply functions.
10. Demonstrates proficiency for hospital wide and/or department specific computer software and technology. Qualifications
Education: High School diploma/GED preferred or equivalent experience required.
Experience: Three years previous phlebotomy experience in a health care setting or certification as a phlebotomist through an accredited agency. For internal candidates: 1 year experience as a Laboratory Assistant I, no corrective action for the last 6 months, and demonstrated effective communication and leadership.
Skills: Ability to read, communicate, and document effectively through oral, written, or electronic means. . Phlebotomy, medical terminology, computer experience, and excellent service skills. Demonstrates the constant ability to prioritize and respond promptly to a changing workload.
Licenses/Certifications: None required.