Northwest Medical Center is a 300-bed hospital offering a full range of healthcare services including emergency services, accredited chest pain and heart failure programs, neurology and neurosurgery, outpatient imaging, a nationally accredited surgical weight loss program, total joint program, spine program and stroke center (recognized with Gold Seal designations by The Joint Commission), robotic surgery, GI lab, a free-standing women’s center, inpatient rehabilitation facility, wound care center, five urgent care facilities, and three ambulatory surgery centers. NMC also has several affiliated physician practices including Northwest Allied Physicians offering primary care and a wide range of specialists, Desert Cardiology of Tucson, Heart Center of Southern Arizona and Northwest Heart & Vascular. NMC is accredited by The Joint Commission and is an equal opportunity employer: race, gender, disability and Veteran status, and VEVRAA Federal Contractor - priority referral Protected Veterans requested.
Summary: Cuts, stains, mounts, and studies specimens of human tissue to provide data on functioning of tissues and organs, causes and/or progress of disease, following established standards and practices. Assists customers with information regarding laboratory testing in a pleasant and professional manner.
1. Performs specimen triage handling procedures, and assists with gross room examinations when necessary.
2. Performs routine tissue processing functions.
3. Performs standard tissue embedding and microtomy techniques.
4. Performs and understands both routine and cytologic preparation and staining procedures.
5. Performs frozen section techniques, including cutting and staining.
6. Performs and understands immunhistochemistry (IHC) and special stain techniques, and prepares all associated reagents/solutions.
7. Performs routine maintenance on department instrumentation.
8. Demonstrates adherence to biohazard procedures.
9. Performs clerical and billing functions within the Pathology Department.
10. Demonstrates competency in all necessary hospital and LIS modules/functions. Qualifications
Education: High School diploma/GED preferred or equivalent experience required/Associate degree in biology, chemistry or related field preferred/
Experience: Training in the field of histology in a clinical setting.
Skills: Ability to read, communicate, and document effectively through oral, written, or electronic means. Medical terminology, computer experience, and excellent service skills. Demonstrates the constant ability to prioritize and respond promptly to a changing workload.
Licenses/Certifications: Preferred: Histology Technologist (ASCP) or registry eligible.