Summary: Primary responsibility is the coding of diagnoses and procedures on any clinical (CLI) and re-occurring (RCR) outpatient records, Same Day Surgery (SDC), Emergency Room and Urgent Care records.
1. Accurately and completely codes any clinical (CLI) and re-occurring (RCR) outpatient records, Same Day Surgery (SDC), Emergency Room and Urgent Care records to conform to current coding conventions. Determines the sequence of diagnoses according to uniform hospital discharge data. Reviews charges on CLI/RCR accounts to ensure charges are appropriate in regards to procedures.
2. Demonstrates an understanding of other payment methodologies that use clinical data such as Ambulatory Surgery Center (ASC) payment groups and Ambulatory Patient Groups (APGs).
3. Meets or exceeds the CHS Coding Productivity Standards for each type of OP coding service. (ER/UC – 18/hr; CLI/RCR – 18/hr; SDC – 7/hr).
4. Demonstrates an ability to be flexible and completes all other duties as needed or requested by the Coding Supervisor and/or Department Director.
5. Answers phone and assists with requests for coding advice as needed by hospital staff and physician offices.
6. Requests diagnoses from physicians when not recorded on discharge or if information is incomplete.6. Requests diagnoses from physicians when not recorded on discharge or if information is incomplete.
7. Updates coding procedures and guidelines and ensures that updates are provided to all backup coders; stays updated on Federal coding changes.
8. Enhances professional growth and development through participation in educational programs, current literature, in-service meetings, and workshops. Attends meetings as required, and participates on committees as directed.
9. Maintains acceptable standards in the area of; attendance, professionalism, and establishing
Northwest Medical Center is a 300-bed hospital offering a full range of healthcare services including emergency services, accredited chest pain and heart failure programs, neurology and neurosurgery, outpatient imaging, a nationally accredited surgical weight loss program, total joint program, spine program and stroke center (recognized with Gold Seal designations by The Joint Commission), robotic surgery, GI lab, a free-standing women’s center, inpatient rehabilitation facility, wound care center, five urgent care facilities, and three ambulatory surgery centers. NMC also has several affiliated physician practices including Northwest Allied Physicians offering primary care and a wide range of specialists, Desert Cardiology of Tucson, Heart Center of Southern Arizona and Northwest Heart & Vascular. NMC is accredited by The Joint Commission and is an equal opportunity employer: race, gender, disability and Veteran status, and VEVRAA Federal Contractor – priority referral Protected Veterans requested.